To keep myself from packing the whole house all at once and leaving us living out of boxes, I’m finishing partial projects. I’m telling myself this is helpful because I am minimizing the amount of space they are taking up and making them easier to pack… plus who wants to live out of boxes while you’re just waiting to load them in the car and take off? No one, that’s who.
I’ve also discovered my ability to justify crocheting when I should be cleaning knows no bounds… but I digress.
In an effort to challenge myself beyond hats, headbands, fingerless gloves, and scarves and after much scanning of Pinterest for inspiration, I decided to make a tote bag to carry my works in progress. It’s not perfect and it’s taken me far longer than it should have (thanks to general indecision), but I am proud of my bag. I think it’s a fairly decent first effort and it’s mine!
I have no pattern for it. Well that’s not entirely true. I have a partial pattern, but I changed my mind so many times that it’s more the idea of a pattern.
I looked at a bunch of different free patterns online (my goal originally being to finally follow a pattern start to finish to learn how things actually should be done… ha) and unable to decide on one, I roughed a general idea and set off.
The original idea was pretty straight forward. A two-handled reusable shopping tote style bag with potentially a solid base. However once I had it worked through and mocked up with handles and all, I wasn’t satisfied and couldn’t put my finger on what was wrong. You know that feeling. It’s not quite what you had in mind, but it’s going to take some more study before you can figure out why. It’s like your subconscious designer has a different plan than your conscious designer, but won’t share. Like a teacher waiting for you to come to an answer on your own before proudly stating they knew all along.
First of all, when I threw it over my shoulder the straps were WAY too long. Plus I’d made the bag rather large compared to my reusable grocery bags, so it was very…. floppy. I tried putting the solid base in the bottom, but it felt cumbersome. Second of all, it was missing a certain amount of panache. No details to speak of to set it apart.
So I put it down to think and two months later I think I’ve got it! Or at least a first version. Once I start using it and improving my skill sets (i.e. my awful hand-sewing and the daunting concept of zippers in knits) I know I will come up with some modifications, but at least I’m very happy taking it out for a spin in public now!
On to the next project!