Happy Sunday, all!
There is something about a gorgeous Sunday morning that makes me want to make breakfast! Today was no different. I woke up with a craving for oatmeal cookies and pancakes. Couple that with a 60 degree day and I’m suddenly in a cookin’ sorta mood. These came out cakey, moist, and made my house smell fantastic. Enjoy!
Makes: 12 (4 in) cakes
1-1/2 C All Purpose Flour
1/2 C Quaker Oats (quick, uncooked)
2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 C Brown Sugar (loosely packed)
1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Salt (optional)
1-1/4 C Milk (I used 1%)
1 tsp Vanilla Extract (the real stuff)
2 Bananas (medium sized, mashed)
1/4 C Butter (melted) + a little more for the skillet
- Throw all of your dry ingredients in your stand mixer and combine.
- Add milk and vanilla extract.
- I don’t like to add all of my milk at once. I’m convinced that even though I’ve measured everything the batter will still come out too loose somehow. That said, feel free to add all of the milk now if you so choose, but I reserve about 1/4 C to add at the very end.
- Add the mashed bananas and the melted butter. Allow to combine thoroughly.
- Taste now before you add your egg and adjust your seasonings if you want.
- Add egg
- I dip a clean paper towel in the rest of my melted butter and wipe my skillet with it. You don’t want a ton of butter because the extra is just going to burn as you continue cooking subsequent batches. If you’re concerned about sticking and find it necessary, add a drop or two of vegetable oil to your pan as needed.
- After all that, cook on medium heat (on my electric stovetop the #4 setting is perfect for pancakes) using about 1/4 C of batter per pancake.
The berry compote I like with mine is just 2 C frozen mixed berries I simmer in 1/2 C orange juice with about 2 tsp of honey. I set it on a low simmer when I start measuring out everything for the pancakes and by the time I’m ready to eat, the compote is spreadable! If it’s too jam-esque for you, just add a little water to thin it, simmer a bit more, and it should become a little more like a berry syrup instead!
Now on to the Blessings Of The Week
I was constantly reminded how blessed I am by my wonderful positivity committee. They were ever present this week and much needed.
We found out the house should be ready the last week of March!!
Yesterday the Pup and I had a very successful play date with her bulldog puppy friend.
I can take a long walk with the pup today without freezing my buns off… maybe even a couple long walks.
What were some of your blessings this past week?
Leave them here. I’m going back outside!